Thinking of joining the Guild or renewing your membership?
Whether you're starting to flies for the first time, a proficient tyer wanting to broaden and deepen your knowledge or refresh your enthusiasm, or a well-versed hand willing to share your expertise with others, The Fly Dressers' Guild offers you a natural and welcoming home.
Our members include many leading fly dressers and flyfishermen and women as well as well known authors of books and articles on both subjects, who share their time and expertise generously with the Guild. However we are most emphatically not an exclusive, closed organisation: new members are warmly welcomed and require no qualification or prior experience.
If you're looking to join the Guild or renew your membership, please go to our Here's How ... page. If you haven't quite made up your mind, do read on and don't forget to also explore the rest of this website.
If you do choose to join, here are some of the key benefits you will enjoy:
- Flydresser - our full colour quarterly magazine focused exclusively on fly dressing and fly tying. Flydresser is a highly respected publication amongst leading fly tyers in the UK and abroad, and only available to members. You can access a sample copy of the magazine and see how much our members value it on our Flydresser page.
- Access to Guild's national network of branches - members of the Guild can join their local branch. Branches operate separately from the main Guild and organise their own programmes, tailored to the interests of their members. Events typically include talks on fly tying and related matters by well-known experts on the subject, fly tying evenings and fishing/ social outings. The Guild encourages its members to join their local branch or - if there is no branch in their area - to create a new branch or meet up informally with other nearby members.
- Guild Fly Tying Awards Scheme - The Guild Awards Scheme is an opportunity for members to develop and test their fly tying abilities against a national standard at their own pace and ultimately receive a recognised award. The scheme is meant to be informative, enjoyable and to encourage co-operation and camaraderie amongst those taking part. Participation is entirely voluntary. Further details can be found on our Guild Awards Scheme page.
- Fly Tying Competition - the Guild holds a national, annual fly tying competition, with different categories to allow for different levels of competency across our membership. The flies are always patterns that have been published in previous issues of Flydresser, and the competition allows members to test their progress and get a sense of how their skills match against a nationwide pool of fly tyers. The patterns for this year's competition can be found in our Fly Tying Competition pages, together with a list of previous flies and winners.
- Retail Discounts and Special Offers - members of the Guild are eligible to receive discounts from Trade Members and other organisations. Details on our Trade Members and special offers available are included in the Members' Area section of our website.
- Exclusive On-line content - whilst slim at the moment, we are aiming to build up a series of pages on this website, available to only to members, including a pattern library, fly tying tips and other interesting articles. Please see our Members' Area introductory page for more details and how to access the content if you are a member.
- Insurance - Members are cover by an insurance policy giving them £5 million pounds of civil liablility insurance. For further details, see our Insurance page.
- Lastly, if you are an experienced tyer who feels you've learned as much as you need for your purposes, how about joining the Guild to share your skills with other tyers, contribute material for the website and the Flydresser magazine, become an instructor or assesor for the Guild Fly Tying Awards Scheme, or help out at our shows and demonstrations?
Last modified on 01 January, 2013